AC INPUT and DC OUTPUT on Laptop Adapters
What does AC Input and DC Output mean on a laptop adapter?
AC INPUT: Range of Alternating Current (AC) consisting of Volts and Amp.
DC OUTPUT:Direct Current (DC) consisting of Volts and Amp.
Have you ever wondered if you could take your laptop to different countries; countries that use different plugs and different voltage? The answer to that question can actually be found on your laptop adapter label.
Located on every laptop adapter is the INPUT and OUTPUT information. This is absolutely important to find and know! In the United States we use 110V. However, most other countries use 220V. So what to do? How can you be sure that your laptop or its adapter will not get fried as you go about your travels or anywhere else?
Here are a few tips:
- Know Where to Look and What to Look For- As we mentioned earlier, located on every AC adapter of and every laptop is a label that contains very important information. One of the key bits of information you will find is the INPUT and OUTPUT range. Find it, know it, and never forget it.
- Ask or Search- If for some reason you're not able to find INPUT and OUTPUT information, or if you ever have doubts about an electrical outlet that you are thinking about plugging into, ask someone who might know or do a quick search engine inquiry. If there's any doubt at all, it's better to err on the side of caution and be sure.
- Match Your Volts & Amps- You always wants to match the Voltage and Amperage of your current laptop AC adapter. If you have higher amperage with matching voltage, you can still use it. The general rule of thumb, however, is to not use any adapter with over 2x the amperage.
- I have a 60W AC adapter and want to use a 90W adapter? YES
- I have a 60W AC adapter and want to use a 150W adapter? NO (not recommended)
Using the wrong type of adapter, or plugging into an electrical outlet not suited for your laptop can have damaging consequences. In the worst cases, it can damage your laptop motherboard, overheat your AC adapter, and even permanently damage your laptop battery. Know your equipment, know what you're plugging into, or Contact Us if you ever have doubts or questions.