With Earth Day falling upon us this Wednesday, there’s certainly no shortage of opportunities to help out the environment. While it would be fantastic if we treated every day as if it were Earth Day, the fact that so many positive projects are taking place for the betterment of the earth this week is truly a beautiful thing to see.
“Each year, approximately 97 percent of vehicle batteries are recycled. However, the remaining 3 percent add up to millions of pounds of lead and gallons of sulfuric acid. These can be discharged into the environment, creating health and safety hazards for humans and animals, as well as a potential fire hazard.”
Among the many eco-friendly promotions currently running is AAA’s annual Great Battery Roundup. Held every year in conjunction with Earth Day, the AAA Great Battery Roundup takes place in order to encourage the recycling old automotive or marine lead-acid batteries that would otherwise end up polluting some landfill. Local AAA offices have established collection points where any and all can drop off old batteries. AAA is also offering free battery checks for those who are unsure of whether their battery is still usable. Aside from making sure that these batteries will be recycled instead of dumped, AAA also donates a portion of recycling proceeds to various environmental groups and other charities.
Earth Day is almost here. Do our environment a favor by taking this opportunity to recycle any old batteries that might be laying around the garage.