A 20 yr. old Chinese man is dead after the battery inside his cellular phone, which he was unfortunately carrying inside of his chest pocket, exploded unexpectedly Sunday evening. Because of the location of the phone upon explosion, the young man’s vital arteries were severed, resulting in massive blood loss and leaving the young man laying in a pool of blood right outside of a convenience store in Guangzhou, China. A witness who was working at the convenience store when the tragedy took place said that at around 7:30 p.m., she suddenly heard a loud “bang”. When she looked outside to see what it was that caused the noise, she saw the man fall to the ground. Paramedics pronounced the man dead at the scene.
It’s still unclear what brand and model of cell phone and battery were being used by the man. With that being said, there is quite a bit of speculation and several reports stating that the man had recently changed the battery in his cell phone to a cheaper duplicate battery. With an incident as tragic as this, however, it would be unwise to jump to any conclusions.
Exploding phone batteries are not a new phenomenon. However, fatalities from such occurrences are rare and this one just might be the worst ever recorded. The Battery Times will be sure to keep you posted on any further developments.
Category: Battery News