This past week was a tough one for batteries as another battery explosion took place in a very unexpected situation . Over 30 people had to be evacuated from a nursing home in Florida Saturday after a laptop battery randomly exploded and ignited a fire. Nurses Helping Hands nursing home in Dunedin, FL was the site of this latest incident and altogether, 36 patients and staff members were evacuated. Chief William McElligott of the Dunedin Fire Division stated that the fire was extinguished by some of the staff members who were present at the time, and the flames were kept to a single room in the nursing home. While several people had to be treated at the scene, and a few others taken to the local hospital, it is good to know that there were no life-threatening injuries from this incident.
There have been no details released yet on exactly which brand and model of laptop is responsible for the mishap. Fire hazards from some laptop batteries have prompted product recalls in the past, but so far it is unknown if this falls under the umbrella of a recalled battery. While situations like this are extremely rare, it’s good to be aware that it is possible. Leaving your laptop on for hours at a time, especially while keeping it plugged in to an outlet, can cause the battery to really heat up and increase the possibility of something like this taking place. If you notice the battery on your laptop becoming abnormally hot, keep it unplugged for a while and even double check to make sure it’s not on a recall list.